Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Book Blog Meme

It's another blog meme! (I stole this one from Mary.)

Contemporary, Historical, or Paranormal?
Contemporary.

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
 Mass market. Cheaper, easier to hold and carry with you to doctor's appointments and whatnot.

Heyer or Austen?
Totally Austen!

Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
If I had to choose one for the world and the other would be destroyed, I'd totally go with brick-and-mortar. Bookstores are my happy place.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
I like B&N more. Maybe because working there helped me earn money for food and gas while I was in grad school.

Woodiwiss or Lindsay?
Probably Woodiwiss. I haven't read one in ages, but her Flame and the Flower was the first romance I ever read.

First romance novel you ever remember reading?
Uh, see above.

Alphabetize by author Alphabetize by title or random?
By author! I also divide my books into categories.

Keep, Throw Away, or Sell?
Keep or trade at used bookstore. Throw away? A tree died for that book!

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Remove it. It always gets in the way, comes off, or crumples when I leave it on.

Sookie Stackhouse or Anita Blake? Anita Blake up through Blue Moon. In the later books, Anita's too busy shagging everything that moves to scare me or move me, which is why I prefer the earlier books in the series. Other people, however, do not have this problem, so it's totally a personal reading preference that has nothing to do with Hamilton's considerable talent.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Stop when tired, though I usually try to make it to a chapter break.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Seeing as "It was a dark and stormy night" was the opener to one of the most notoriously bad books ever, I'd have to say "Once upon a time."

Crusie or SEP?
Crusie.

Buy or Borrow?
Buy or trade. I'm not good at returning, so I try not to borrow.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
Browse, mostly. Sometimes recommendation. When I do buy a book based on a review, I generally ignore the review and consider the plot synopsis. I've read too many well-reviewed books that I've loathed and poorly reviewed books that I've loved to put too much stock in something so subjective.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
Tidy ending! I hate cliffhangers.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
Anytime is a good time for a book. Lately, nighttime is the only time I seem to have.

Series or standalone? Stand alones. I tend to fall behind with or get tired of series.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?The Sirens of Ming Hai, a political spy thriller by John Williamson. Williamson self-published his book, one bookseller in Virginia informed me, because several editors felt it contained sensitive political information that might get them into trouble. I wasn't expecting much when I picked it up, but I so thoroughly enjoyed this intense, intricately plotted, edge-of-your-seat ride, I was even moved to write a brief Amazon review of it (and this is normally something I am too lazy to do, regardless of how much I enjoyed a book).

1 comment:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Totally agree with you on the tidy ending.
It's been a while. ARe you knee deep in edits?
I miss you.

About Me

My photo
Tracy Montoya writes romantic suspense for Harlequin Intrigue.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter